Hero Firefighter rescues one-eyed elderly basset from house fire near San Francisco!

June 11th, 2012 - 4:04 pm KY Time

Howllo Fellow Basset Hound and Fire Fighter Lovers….Wow, those guys and gals are the best ever.  Can you imagine your home burning down and your beloved family member is inside?  I can’t.  I shutter to think.


Firefighters rescued a dog from a fire at a Hayward home Sunday night, a fire inspector said.Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a single-story house on Lafayette Avenue around 8:15 p.m. Sunday, Hayward Fire Inspector Gerry Price said.

The first crews on the scene encountered black smoke coming from the front door.

Crews entered the home and were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, knocking down the flames in 10 to 15 minutes, Price said.

The couple living in the home safely evacuated but told fire personnel that their 13-year-old basset hound, Maddie, was still inside. Maddie is blind in one eye.

Fire crews “went through every bedroom, nook, cranny and closet and found the dog,” Price said.

Hayward firefighter Ed Camera scooped up the dog, unharmed, and carried it to safety, Price said. No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported.

Hayward Hero saves hound

Maddie, a 13-year-old basset hound, is held by Hayward firefighter Ed Camera after being rescued from a house fire. (Hayward Fire Dept.)

Objects on top of a lit kitchen stove apparently started the fire, according to Price. The kitchen sustained significant damage while the rest of the house sustained only smoke damage.

End of article….

OK residents – let’s all stay safe in our town.  It only takes a slight error to make a critical mistake.

Thank goodness for heroes like Ed Camera!

More loving heroes later…Cat, Chaps and Emma


  1. Judy, Bumper & Abby
    June 12th, 2012 | 8:00 am

    I am so glad that the dog got out. So many times the pets are lost in a fire because they are scared and go hide. There was a big fire close to me last week on Riverside Pkwy and while the family was at an 8th grade graduation their house caught on fire. The inside is completely gone and they lost everything including their two dogs. Thank dog the family with 3 children were not at home. FYI – I heard the cause of the fire was a short in the dishwasher that was not even running! Scary!!

  2. Cindy, Jethro, Rugs, Oz and Harriet
    June 12th, 2012 | 8:17 am

    Wow, that situation could have been much worse. The firefighters must have gotten there pretty quick. Lucky for Maddie!

  3. MaureenandSlinky
    June 12th, 2012 | 9:36 am

    I love happy endings.

    Maddie and the Firefighter Ed Camera make a great couple.

  4. Cat
    June 12th, 2012 | 10:37 am

    Judy – I heard about that as well. It is so sad when things like this happen. I think the family have 2 big black Newfoundlands. I think a cat parished as well. Very sad.

  5. June 13th, 2012 | 2:10 pm

    I few folks are talking about this on facebook. I will have to see if I can find out what really happened. I was wondering if someone had something on the stove and fell asleep.

  6. Cat
    June 13th, 2012 | 4:44 pm


  7. Addy
    June 26th, 2012 | 9:34 pm

    Cat, this fire was started by one of the bassets. The dogs belong to Gwen Dossey… I’m sure by now the story is out there. She works graveyard, her husband works swing so they were getting a few hours sleep before they had to go to work. Apparently their youngest basset, Sasha, jumped up to try and get to the pan with the bacon grease still in it, and turned the knob on the cooker. The kitchen and nook, dining area etc. burned, the rest of the house smoke damaged and water damaged from the hoses. Luckily Shawn woke up and smelled the burning, thought the window air conditioning unit had been on too long, opened the door and saw the smoke. They were so lucky to get out. Fireman said another 1-2 minutes and their way out the front door would have been blocked as well as the rear of the house (where the fire started). Madden is 10, not 13, but she did go and hide and when they carried her out she was limp, but Gwen saw her tail wag when she called her name. She recently lost an eye to glaucoma, so she’s really been in the wars. Now the family is unable to return home for at least five or six months while they rebuild… Very scary, but thankfully a happy ending that could have been so different!

  8. Cat
    June 27th, 2012 | 12:48 pm


    (Picture of Chaps waiting outside of the kitchen gate)

    Actually, the fire would have been started by the mistake of the owner of the basset not taking the bacon grease off the stove. Apparently, as we all know, bassets counter cruise.

    Mistakes happen but this was not the fault of the basset.

    Thanks for the update. This is a HUGE reminder to do a safety check before bed. Try to never get so tired you make massive mistakes. We all make mistakes and we can all sure learn from this one. I actually have a gate across my kitchen door. The woman from Hospice asked me about it and I quote, “It is much easier to buy a gate than to train a basset to stay out of the kitchen.” Proper, prior, planning, people. PPPP!

    I have a good friend with two girl bassets who is a fireman in the city one over from me. I sent him the article and his exact words to me were, “tell everyone you know to practice a fire drill tonight and never, ever leave anything on a stove.”

    This was a happy ending and we are thrilled for Gwen and her family and that they are all still with us.

    I hope others heed fireman Matt’s advise….

    PPPP! letters to live by…

Leave a comment