Mango Mouth…ouch

April 3rd, 2016 - 7:07 pm KY Time

Howllo Fellow Basset Hound and information lovers…Well, it has been a giant hassle.  I got Mango Mouth and it is getting better but has lasted about 2 weeks.  A quick google search says it can last up to a month!!!  Oh NO…

Have you ever heard of it?  Mango Mouth…

What Causes Mango Allergy Among People?

The mango allergy reaction can start within 10 minutes after ingestion. The reasons behind this allergy are due to a poisonous chemical named urushiol. This chemical is found in the rind of mangoes. So if by any reason, you come in contact with the mango peel then you are going to suffer from this allergy. The chemical is responsible for ivy rash too. So, a person allergic to ivy or oak poison should be allergic to mangoes as well. This chemical is found in larger amount among green mangoes and less in ripe one. The botanical family of mango is similar to some other fruits such as pistachio, cashew etc. The potential allergens in mangoes are found in fruits like pear, apple, carrot, paprika, peanut. Thus due to cross sensitivity issue, one can have similar symptoms either by handling or eating those fruits.

I just thought I would share this information because I have never eaten a mango in my life so howl would I know?  I am allergic to poison ivy but who would have never thought that mango allergies would be related???  I don’t even walk near them in the grocery store.  I actually give them the evil eye and move to the other side of the produce section.

I hate Mangos more than my swollen lips can even tell you…

Thank goodness for google…

More loving the more you know later…Cat, Daisy Lynn (who hates mangos also), (Chaps and Emma ATB where there are no mangos…)

PS – I didn’t want to scare any of the residents so no pics…:(



  1. Cindy, Oz and Harriet
    April 4th, 2016 | 8:50 am

    How awful! I’m curious, how did you get if you didn’t eat a mango?

  2. Maureen Halleran
    April 4th, 2016 | 10:15 am

    Allergic reactions can be the worst. I know, I am highly allergic to cats, peppers, most nuts, pantene shampoo, and a number of other items. I hope you have a safe speedy recovery. You should also look into having an emergency shot on you at all times.

  3. Cat
    April 4th, 2016 | 2:25 pm

    Oh, I had never had a mango prior to the several I down in a matter of day. What a flavor! I could get easily addicted but I guess that will never happen! LOL They have a sap on their skin that is the same as poison ivy as well.

  4. April 6th, 2016 | 9:11 pm

    A friend of mine is allergic to very ripe fruit. She Ate an extremely ripe plum and her throat started to swell, had to go to the emergency room.

  5. Cat
    April 9th, 2016 | 9:50 am

    Wow Denise – that is horrible. I am also allergic to Burts Bees lip balm. I found out that there is something in the honey that causes my mouth (must have a tender mouth) to look like the Joker from batman. That took about a month to go away. It’s called Propolis induced contact dermatitis.

Leave a comment